Thursday, February 5, 2015

Hearing God's Call

Hello! My name is Allison O’Connor, and I am a junior at Ontario Christian. Unfortunately, I was not able to attend Symposium this year. However, I did attend two years ago, my freshman year, and it was a very memorable and meaningful experience for me. Before I share the things I learned, I think it’s important for me to share some back story.

I had been involved with the worship team at my church for about two years in a few different ministries. I also started to play guitar occasionally in chapel services here at OC. I was a part of worship ministry because I loved Jesus and playing music, but I didn’t think it was anything more than that for me. When Mrs. Kraut and Mr. Dykhouse asked me to attend the Symposium, I got this weird feeling in my stomach (a good kind of weird, of course). It felt like God had perfectly orchestrated for me to go to this event. I was so excited to go, and I remember counting the days until we left.

I don’t remember a lot of the specific workshops and seminars, but I do remember going to workshop on worship leading. It was taught by a lovely woman who was a worship leader at a church in the area. She also did a lot of service within her community to minister to those who are less fortunate. She spoke with this contagious joy and excitement about worship, and once again, I got this good-kind-of-weird feeling in my stomach. She talked about how leading worship was like being a shepherd to the congregation, much like how a pastor is. She also talked about how it was privilege to be called to lead worship. In fact, she said at one point, “You are called to be a worship leader.” It felt like God was speaking through her directly to me. The feeling that I had was now overflowing in my heart. It was at this moment that I received God’s calling in my life to be a worship leader. I didn’t know where or how I would do this, but I knew that this was what God wanted for my life. After the workshop, I felt like my heart and soul were going to burst with joy. I felt so much comfort and love in knowing that God had a specific plan for my life.


Since then, I now lead worship for our main congregation, junior high, high school, college, and women’s ministries at my church. This is also my second year in Chapel Leadership, and I have gained so much experience and knowledge from being a part of this class. While I was really sad I couldn’t attend Symposium this year, I spent the past few days at my youth group’s winter retreat, and I had the privilege of leading worship during the weekend. It was really cool to reflect on where God has brought me since then, even though I still have quite a long way to go. I am so unbelievably grateful for Calvin’s Worship Symposium, Mrs. Kraut, and Mr. Dykhouse for the countless things they have taught me about worship leading. The time I spent there two years ago (and hopefully again next year) was such a meaningful experience that I will remember for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment